Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lessons Learned

We are a bit unconventional as a family in this day and age I guess. Our children don't do sleep overs. Our teenagers don't go to the movies or mall on the weekends with their friends. We believe in teaching our kids  that their bodies are beautiful and they should dress modestly. Our kids don't have freedom to just sit and play on the internet. Our family believes in family time and being together at home or out doing things together as a family. We are always together. Our kids bring their friends to our house instead of going to their homes. We are pretty strict with our kids I guess. We expect good grades and good behaviour and respect. In return we work really hard to provide our children with a very nice life and a stable home. Sometimes people, especially my family think we are too hard on our kids. Yesterday Jennifer got to learn a lesson about how important it is to do little things for others. It was her first day of highschool. I asked her to please let me take one photo of her. She looked very pretty so there was no reason for her to resist. I decided not to fight with her about it but to instead teach her a lesson about her actions. When she got home after school and wanted to go get her friend, I told her no, as she had told me no in the morning. When she asked me why I explained to her why she couldn't. She was less than pleased. Hopefully she learned how important doing little things for others is. At the end of the day I want my children to be happy but my job as a mother is to raise them to be educated, productive, decent members of society. It is not my job to just give them whatever they want whenever they cry and whine for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment